Once you have decided to take the first step in filing for Divorce, create a list or a timetable of the events that caused you to turn to a Lawyer for your family law case.
Below is a list of items that our office will need to prepare your case.
- Copies of your marriage and birth certificates.
- Date of marriage and timeline of events in marriage.
- Information about any prior marriage of either spouse.
- Information about any previous legal proceedings between the spouses or children
- Dates and particulars about any previous separations, attempts at reconciliation.
- The name of your employer and your spouse's employer, including dates of employment.
- Social security and driver's license numbers.
- Copies of your (single or joint) income tax returns for the last three years.
- Copies of your last three pay stubs (if you work outside the home)
- Note your spouse's income and other household income.
- Bank account numbers, amounts and whose names are on the accounts.
- Investment information.
- The value of a pension, whose name it is in and when they began to contribute to the pension.
- Note other valuable items such as jewelry, artwork and other collections.
- Purchase date, purchase price, remaining balances and current value of real estate holdings.
- List all debts, to whom, account numbers, when they were incurred, when due.
- Education and employment background of both parties.
- Names and ages of children.
- Past occurances relating to drug/alcohol abuse, domestic abuse etc.
The information you provide your Attorney is protected by the Attorney/Client priviledge.